Nov 6, 2021
VOLUNTEERS PLANT TREES AT TWO SHEPHERDSTOWN PROPERTIES
Community volunteers joined with members of Shepherdstown's Rotary Club and Community Club on a frosty Saturday, November 6 to to help plant trees at two properties that are very important to the town: Elmwood Cemetery and Morgan's Grove Park.
In all, about 25 people participated. The accompanying photo shows some of the members of the planting group at the Cemetery.
The project was organized by the Shepherdstown Rotary Club and carried out in partnership with the Elmwood Cemetery Association; the Community Club, which owns Morgan's Grove Park; and the Cacapon Institute. This is the fourth year in a row the Rotary Club has sponsored the event, and the second time Morgan's Grove Park has been included as a planting location.
A total of 8 trees of various species were planted, four at each location. The species planted included Red Oak, Hackberry, and Red Maple.
The trees were donated by the Cacapon Institute, as part of its Carla Hardy WV Communi-Tree program. Two representatives of the Institute, Jeff Blount and Shannon Delawader were on hand to instruct everyone on proper planting techniques.
The Communi-Tree program promotes planting of trees in cities and towns in West Virginia's Potomac Headwaters. Its main goal is to help protect the area's water resources by reducing stormwater runoff pollution. But it is also aimed at increasing awareness of local water quality issues, educating the public about the benefits of trees, promoting long-term tree maintenance, and encouraging volunteerism.
Elmwood Cemetery was chartered in 1869 and incorporates two older church cemeteries that date back to the 18th Century; many members of the town's oldest families are buried there.
The Morgan's Grove Park property is also historic. Located near the spot where local militia began their famous 600-mile "Beeline March" on July 16, 1775 to join General George Washington's troops in Massachusetts, the land served as the site of an annual Morgan's Grove Fair from 1889 to 1936. It has been operated as a public park by the Shepherdstown Community Club (formerly the Men's Club) since 1961.
Many of the older trees on both properties have died, and the planting of new trees has been a priority in recent years.